Apart from providing fantastic service, for moving companies to get as much business as possible, they need to be amongst the first results on all search engines (Google, Bing, etc.). Although it may sound simple, reaching this goal can be very slow and exhausting.
If you do not know and have the exact keywords your prospective customers are searching for, you will not be able to reach that number one position you desire.
To rank better, you need to understand your target audience’s needs. Therefore, apart from knowing the exact keywords you need to incorporate in your content, you also need to understand their search intent.
Only when you have this information can you optimize your content and website for search engines and reach your target audience. It is okay if you focus all your attention only on Google, as it accounts for about 90% of online search volume.
List Of Moving Company Keywords
A keyword list is the most important thing when trying to rank on Google (or any search engine). The keywords you use and create your content around are what bring prospective customers to your website. This results in more leads and higher conversion rates.
However, you can not use the exact keywords for different pages on your website. For instance, a home page and a landing page have very different intents. A home page shows your audience what you are all about, whereas a landing page represents a specific part of your service.
List Of Moving Company Keywords For A Home Page
When it comes to a home page, you want to rank for keywords:
- Moving company
- Moving company near me
- Local moving company
- Moving company (enter your town)
Since most moving companies cover their local area, it is wise for your home page to target both the “moving company” and “local moving company” keywords. This is because when someone looks up “moving company” on Google, its algorithms automatically show the best and the nearest businesses available.
However, to show up, you need to have your brand name and the area you cover in your title. For example, “Your Name” – local moving company in Boston. This way, you can rank for “local moving company” and “moving company near me,” and you are targeting the “moving company in Boston” keyword.
What If You Work In Multiple Locations?
In case you have multiple service areas, having a separate landing page for every location would be wise. However, if you are located only in, for example, Boston, and you cover more than 50% of its districts, there is no need for multiple landing pages.
Apart from the text that clearly states where you are located, it is a good idea to have Google Maps on your home page. That way, Google’s algorithms get as many signals possible as to where you are.
List Of Moving Company Keywords For A Service Page
Service page moving company keywords are a bit different. They refer to a specific type of service you provide. For instance, if you offer a piano moving service, your keywords might be:
- Piano moving service
- Piano moving service near me
- Piano moving service (your town)
- Safe piano moving service
- Local piano moving service
Some other services you might offer include:
- Gun safe
- Heavy equipment
Each of these keywords requires a separate landing page. You want to focus on the service page and your landing pages because most local services often have pages with poor user intent. With quality content and a few backlinks, you can rank well on search engines and generate the leads that eventually become customers.
List Of Moving Company Keywords For A Location Page
Now, you need a location page only if you cover multiple towns with your service. For instance, moving company Miami, moving company Chicago, etc.
However, if you only cover one city but multiple districts, there is no need for this. It is enough for you to optimize your home page location map, so you come up in the search for “moving service near me.”
List Of Moving Company Keywords For Blog Posts
Keywords for creating blog posts are generally informative. So, to rank well, you want to cover keywords like:
- How to move
- How to pack for a move
- How to move fragile items
- How to pack and load a moving van
- How to prepare for a move with your kids
- How to move your family to another city
- How to move cheap
- How to move office
- How to move a piano
Search Volume – What Is It & How Does It Affect You?
Search volume refers to the number of searches a specific keyword gets per month. For instance, one keyword (moving company) can have up to 5000 inquiries, whereas another (good moving company near me) might have only up to 500 searches.
In this case, you might have difficulty competing for the “moving company” keyword. This is because your competition is using it, too, and everyone wants to rank first for it.
On the other hand, if you decide to target the minor keyword, “piano moving company” you might have a better chance to rank for it. The only downside of smaller keywords is that you will get less organic search traffic as fewer people are looking it up.
How Does Your Ranking Affect Organic Search Traffic Volume You Get?
Here are some percentages that might help you understand how much search volume you will get based on your ranking:
- If you rank first on Google search, you will get about 27.34% more organic search traffic of the total search volume than the second rank.
- If you rank second, you will get approximately 21.47% more organic search traffic than the third rank.
We can group results into four groups:
- Third positions gets 18.9% of the search volume potential
- The top 4 – 6 get 14.24% of the search volume potential
- The top 7 – 10 get 5.41% of the search volume potential
- The top 10 + get 2.43% of the search volume potential
Benefits Of Using Geo-Targeting
Geo-targeted keywords help to connect your moving business to your location and the location of your target audience. For instance, let us say you have a moving company in California. Including your geographical location can ensure that you come up on Google search when people look up “moving company California.”
Thanks to the Google search algorithm’s updates, your name can come up even if people look up “moving company near me” because the algorithm knows the location of your prospective customers.
Geo-targeting is pretty much the same for home and service pages on your website. However, remember that some areas might have a large search volume while others might have a low search volume for the same keyword.
How To Analyze Keyword Competition?
As we said, when choosing your keywords, you need to find ones with a high search volume but a low difficulty level. To find this out, you need to check how often your competition uses the same keywords as you.
Some Basics You Want To Check
There are a few other things you want to check when it comes to competition:
- Are they in the top 10 results on Google search results? If so, what are they doing that earned them their position?
- What is their loading speed? People do not want to wait too long for your website to load. The ideal loading time is two seconds, but three is fine too.
- Do they have an SSL certificate? This safety certificate is one of the few factors Google uses to determine your rank because it wants its users safe.
- What do their headlines look like? For example, do they use keywords or keyphrases in the headlines, how are they constructed, etc.?
- What about their keyword density? Check how often and where exactly in the text your competition uses the keywords they are trying to rank for.
- Do they meet user intent? For instance, if they move pianos professionally, they need to have a landing page explaining what kind of pianos they move, how far, what size, how long it takes to move a piano, etc. They should be clear about their prices, provide contact information, have testimonials that convince people to choose their service, etc.
- What about their backlinks? Check out how many backlinks they have and if they lead to quality websites.
When Will You See Results?
Generally, you can expect results in about four to twelve months. You might see results within the first 4 to six months if you target the low-competition keywords.
However, if you opt for high-competition keywords, high domain, and page authorities, it might take up to four years to get the desired results.
The main goal of on-page SEO is for your audience and search engines to:
- Understand what your website is all about.
- Identify your content relevant to specific search queries (keywords).
- Think of your page as valuable and worthy to rank at the top of the search engine results.
So, how can you optimize your website to meet all the said criteria? Here are some things you need to cover:
Your page’s URL needs to be clear, informative, on the point, and easy to read to your audience and search engines.
Although Meta description does not contribute directly to higher rankings, it makes for a better user experience and a higher click-through rate.
You should use H1 title tags for titles and H2 title tags for subtitles. That way, your content outline or structure is clear to Google’s algorithms.
Your page content needs to be in-depth, user-friendly, unique, authoritative, trustworthy, linkable, and aligned with user search intent.
We will take a service page as an example. It needs to provide the information about:
- The area you cover with your service.
- If you are a piano moving company, you should clearly state what pianos you move.
- How do you secure the pianos to ensure they do not damage during the move?
- How long does the moving process take?
- The satisfaction of your previous clients with your moving service.
- Your prices and how you charge (based on the time, moving distance, etc.).
- Why are you a better choice than your competitors?
You should also include pictures of your team members moving the pianos. People relate more to a picture than text, so they are more likely to choose you if they see you in action.
The most important thing you want to do is satisfy the need and solve the problem a person looking for your service has. For instance, if someone looks up “piano moving service,” they need a moving company that will safely move their piano.
So you need a good landing page to answer all their questions (how you move the pianos, how far, at what cost, etc.). The person must find all the answers on your site to convert. Otherwise, they will return to the search engine and move on to another moving service. That means you didn’t satisfy user intent because the reader hasn’t found what he is looking for.
Internal & External Links
Internal links on one page can help you boost the rest of the pages on your website. Using internal links also makes your website much more crawlable for Google bots.
External links, on the other hand, signal that you have quality content to offer and that your page is trustworthy.
People rarely want to read a large block of text. That is why you should use images to break the text.
It is not enough to add images to your page. You need to optimize them too:
- Reduce the file size and implement lazy loading to ensure they load quickly.
- Use descriptive alt tags so that Google can “read” your image and see it as a valuable part of the content.
- Choose file names and titles for your images to reflect the keywords you want to incorporate into your content.
Your audience must stay on your page as long as possible. As a result, Google will find your page valuable to rank. Here are some tips as to how you can improve user engagement and keep your readers interested:
- Clear headlines show the structure of your content.
- Bullet lists make the content more scannable.
- Images, infographics, and videos break the text.
- Relevant CTAs encourage readers to take action.
Building backlinks is the most important part of off-page SEO. Backlinks on your website are indicators of quality content to search engines. Generally, websites with more backlinks tend to rank better.
There are three main types of backlinks:
- Natural – these links are given without the page owner asking for them.
- Manually built – you get these links by asking influencers to share your content or by getting customers to link to your website.
- Self-created – these links are made by adding backlinks in a forum, blog comments, online directory, etc.
No matter how you get them, backlinks that contribute the most to your SEO are the ones that pass the most equity. Make sure to:
- Add new backlinks to service landing pages with the smaller competition.
- Reach out to related websites to your niche (moving) or your service area (for instance, Boston).
The main criteria for the websites where the backlink will be inserted include:
- Organic search traffic from Google.
- Valuable backlink profile.
- Minimum domain authority (DA) of 30.
Remember that the domain can not be dropped or bought just for the DA. You should not use guest posts, backlink farms, or PBN. The optimal amount of backlinks you want to have is two to five backlinks per landing page service.
How Can You Find Keywords For Your Local Area?
When you understand your customers’ needs, desires, and pain points, you can help them solve their problems and simultaneously boost your business. The best way to do this is through a Google Keyword Planner tool, which tells you how people search for your business.
It allows you to set your location (in this example, it is Dallas Ft. Worth) and put in a keyword (“movers”). Once you do this, you will see the number of average monthly searches and many similar search terms (keywords) and their search volume.
You get to follow the search term through different seasons too. This is important as moving companies are often most needed during the late spring, summer, and early autumn and not so much during the winter.
Step By Step Keyword Research Guide
Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can do thorough keyword research using Google Keyword Planner:
Step 1: Access The Planner
While the Google Keyword Planner is a free tool, you need to have a Google Ads account set up. If you do not already have one, you can quickly set it up, log into it, go to the toolbar, click on the “wrench,” and choose “Keyword Planner.”
Once you do this, you will see two tools available within the Keyword Planner: “Discover new keywords” and “Get search volume and forecasts.” The two tools are enough to generate thousands of SEO-focused keywords, and both will direct you to the keyword result page.
Step 2: Choose The Tool You Want To Use
Set your location and language and choose which tool you want to use. Here is a how-to guide on creating large lists of keywords for SEO campaigns using both tools:
Discover New Keywords
As its name implies, this tool is perfect for finding new keywords. What you need to do here is enter services or products that are related to your business. You can enter as many words and phrases as possible; just put a comma after every word/phrase. After you complete this step, click “get results.”
Get Search Volume And Forecasts
This tool comes in handy when you already have an extensive keyword list and want to check every keyword’s search volume. It is easy to use; paste your keyword list into the search field and press “get started.”
Step 3: Filter & Sort Out Results
Once you get to the result page, it will look like this:
At this point, removing keywords, you can not rank for (branded keywords) is essential. This is because people search for these branded keywords when they want to do business with a specific brand. As a result, you do not have any chance of ranking for them.
By doing this, you can easily filter out the keyword results and get the ones you can use and rank for.
Step 4: Analyze All Keyword Ideas
Once you have your results, it is time to organize and analyze them. Download your list, create an Excel table, and manually manage the keywords you have by user intent.
For instance, people looking for a “moving company” and ” moving company near me” generally have the same user intent. So, if you look up both terms, you will probably get the same results. This is because Google uses your location to display the businesses nearest you.
Other Tools You Can Use
The main point of keyword research tools is to help you generate more search traffic to your website. Apart from the Google Keyword Planner, you can use:
- Google Search Console
- Ahrefs Keywords Explorer
Semrush is an amazing tool that allows you to:
- Do a keyword research
- Research longer keyphrases
- Check for the keywords your competition is already ranking for
The pros of the Semrush keyword tool are:
- It is very easy to use.
- Domain analysis is easy to perform.
- Its keyword intent data helps you find the most relevant keywords for your business.
- It has three different channels of support available for you including email, phone, and chat.
- You can sign up for a thirty-day free trial.
The cons of the Semrush keyword tool are:
- It provides data only for Google’s search engine.
- You only have one account available and the extras come at a high price.
- Its interface is not responsive so it can be very hard to use on a mobile phone.
- To sign up for a free trial you need to enter your credit card number in advance.
Soovle keyword tool provides you with keyword ideas from Google, Bing, Yahoo, Amazon, YouTube, etc. The best thing about it is that it allows you to save your favorite keywords and download them to a CSV file.
The pros of the Soolve keyword tool are:
- You can perform unlimited searches for free.
- It quickly loads all keyword searches.
The cons of the Soolve keyword tool are:
- It does not come with any other SEO features.
- You need to have existing SEO knowledge to leverage the results from the platform.
Jaaxy keyword tool provides you with many different keyword ideas and has useful data on every single keyword it generates. Its “Quoted Search Result” feature shows you how many websites are already trying to rank for every keyword.
The pros of the Jaaxy keyword tool are:
- It provides accurate data.
- Its interface is very user-friendly.
The cons of the Jaaxy keyword tool are:
- Its price increases over time.
- It does not provide local results.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a bit different from the other tools; it provides a report that shows the pages on your website that get the most clicks and the keywords that got you those clicks. As a result, you can use it to find “opportunity keywords”. If you optimize your content around them, you can get higher rankings.
The great thing is that you can combine your Google Search Console account with your Google Analytics account. Once you do this, you will have access to data that neither tool provides on its own.
The pros of the Google Search Console keyword tool are:
- You get a lot of data and can easily track your online growth.
- Simple and responsive UI and UX.
- It easily finds problems on your website.
The cons of the Google Search Console keyword tool are:
- Some errors might keep repeating and not get updated.
- There is no option for submitting an HTML sitemap.
Ahrefs Keywords Explorer
This tool provides you with in-depth information on every keyword including search volume, competition breakdown, and the number of searchers that click on the result.
The pros of the Ahrefs keyword tool are:
- It is very simple and easy to use.
- You can use it to perform keyword research for different search engines.
- It allows you to make internal and external broken link analyses.
The cons of the Ahrefs keyword tool are:
- You do not have the option of signing up for a free trial.
- You can not use it on your mobile phone on the go.
Now you have all the information on how to do thorough keyword research for your moving company. We were completely transparent in this guide and included all the steps we take during our research. All the results you get will help you create a keyword list you want to implement to outrank your competition.